Thursday, May 8, 2008

yet another baby gift

I'm trying not to get sick of making baby gifts so I'm mixing it up a little with some "challenges" so to speak. My friend mentioned how much she admired a pair of newborn slippers called Puchi Toes made by another friend of mine - Nita who has a store Hot Salad. She wanted them but didn't have anything for the baby to wear to match it. So I bought them and have been trying to work out an outfit to go with them. Nothing like a creative challenge to break the boredom of gift giving!

So I made a newborn A-line dress out of lightweight twill and it's fully lined with a soft natural muslin. I tried to match the embroidery to the shoes as best I could. I couldn't find a lamb that I liked and I did have a big bad wolf design but that would definitely be a little too freaky for a newborn outfit. ha ha.

My friend cloth diapers so I made her a newborn cover out of wind pro fleece and bound it with brown fold over elastic. I even made gussets in the diaper - a first for me and I really like them. Nothing like a little extra fabric to keep that newborn poo from exploding. I did not add the snaps on the shoulder straps. My friend has a snap press so I'm just sending the snaps and she can adjust the straps to fit her baby when she arrives for a better fit.

I like that it's not in your face girly and the simplicity is very pleasing to me. I'm pretty happy with it. And that is saying a lot. ha.

4 comments:

MichelleB said...

Absolutely ADORABLE! I'm sure that she will love it. You did a great job.

Michelle said...

How cute, I love it!!
Michelle

Rae said...

I love it! Great diaper cover there too! And thanks for the info on the printed PUL -- that totally makes sense. I have a question about the windpro -- does it get damp at all or is it pretty waterproof? I like the idea of using a more breathable material for my diaper covers but I don't want any soggy bottoms, y'know?

raehoekstra (at) gmail (dot) com

Happy Zombie said...

How adorable! I love your colors and style. Just love it!

I love the name of your blog... that just cracks me up!